hist-games: alea evangelii

Damian Walker damian at snigfarp.karoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 26 22:11:59 PDT 2008

Quoting M Winther's message of Yesterday:

> So how old is Alea Evangelii? Is it really from the tenth century?

I have no reason to disbelieve that it's a 10th century game, that we're
seeing through a 12th century manuscript.  The 12th century manuscript
could be a copy of an earlier (e.g. 10th century) one, or it could be a
new work based on an earlier source.  The 10th century date, by the way,
comes from the mention in the manuscript that the game comes from king
Athelstan's court - his reign was 925-940 (sometimes given as 924-939,
I'm not sure which is the modern thinking).

--
Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/