hist-games: alea evangelii

M Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Thu Jun 26 22:25:14 PDT 2008

Den 2008-06-26 17:18:21 skrev Jon at Gothic Green Oak <jon at gothicgreenoak.co.uk>:

> Mats
>
> A paper published by County Down Museum (URL below) cites Robinson 1923 'The
> Life of St Dunstan' which apparently claims that the manuscript in the
> Corpus Christi College library is an 11th C copy of a 10th C Irish Gospel
> Book. Not read Robinson myself but would be interested if anyone has. I
> guess it is possible that it is a copy and has since Robinson's book been
> given a 12th C date.
>
> http://www.downcountymuseum.com/template.aspx?area=12&pid=143&textsize=3
>

> all the best
>
> jon

In Bell vol.I pp.79-80 is described a Danish game of the same dimensions, found
in a grave at least as old as A.D. 400. Probably it's the same game, only it was
renamed to Alea Evangelii. It seems like Tafl games were played in the roman era,
then, if the board wasn't used for the Chinesegame of Go, which isn't likely. Go
used exactly the same board as Alea Evangelii, and both were played on the
intersections, it seems. It's a remarkable coincidence.

Mats