hist-games: XIIIth century games

Jon at Gothic Green Oak jon at gothicgreenoak.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 02:52:58 PDT 2008

Sally

The little feedback I get from customers suggests that those who buy Rithmomachia play it when they can find someone who can understand it and is willing. Harmonic progression is beyond my understanding so I dont bother looking for anyone who can play. Both of which suggest that this is, and probably always has been, a game of requiring specific knowledge beyond that understood by the majority - a game of the numerate elite, as Ulrich suggested. In this country (UK) I am told, by those who apparently know, that 'A' level maths is sufficient.

('A' levels are the higher level exams taken between high school and University in the UK)

jon