hist-games: XIIIth century games

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Tue Jun 24 01:26:00 PDT 2008

Yes, the most important source is Alfonso: Chess, backgammon games (15
variants), dice games (12 variants): the oldest source we have giving exact
rules for dice games (among them the predecessor of craps), variants of
chess, dice and backgammon, alquerque, 3 men's morris, 9 men's morris.

A new commented edition with german translation by myself and the late
Ricardo Calvo is about to appear this year (finally!).

I would also add Bruegel's painting with children's games in Vienna to the
list of important sources. Although it is later in date, most of these games
have been known much earlier (skittles, knucklebones etc.) and not only in
the Netherlands.

Rhythmomachiy is something so elitaire that it was surely not played by
"normal" people.

Ulrich Schädler

  _____