hist-games: XIIIth century games

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 12:10:10 PDT 2008

By the XIII century you'd have mancala variations in the middle east.  Tables
in Europe and Nardshir in Persia will be variations on our familiar
backgammon. Merrils in Europe are qirq in the Middle East. Dice/astragals are  al'zahr
in Arabic. Tab was popular throughout the Arab world (note  that Islam's
prohibition of gambling will effect regional differences).  Alquerque/al'qirkat
yes (it came into Europe from the Middle East) and shatranj,  as well-but no
draughts/checkers yet except in France. Bowls/boules  and quilles, quoit,
tilting, sadw which was a  nut-pitching game.

In a message dated 6/23/2008 8:56:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,