hist-games: XIIIth century games

M Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Mon Jun 23 10:10:08 PDT 2008

Den 2008-06-23 14:56:14 skrev Piotr Adamczyk <piotr.adamczyk at muzeum.elblag.pl>:

> Hello,
> Any idea what kind of games culd crusaders (or generally in Europe and Middle East) play in the XIII th century? Bowls, board games etc. Alquerque could be, some kind of bowling maybe (I've seen a small icon witha painting where two people are tossing balls on a small wodden pyramids standing before oponents legs)...
>
> Piotr Adamczyk
> elblag, Poland

Medieval chess (shatranj) was very popular in the upper classes (see
Yalom, M. (2004). Birth of the Chess Queen: A History)
http://www.chessvariants.com/historic.dir/shatranj.html

The medievals played fox and geese obsessively
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/Fox_Classic.htm

Alquerque was played in this form, I believe:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/medievalalquerque.htm

I suppose that they also knew of bear games, since these are very old and
are in some corners played to this day:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/beargames.htm

Mats
--