hist-games: Alfonso, again

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Fri Jun 13 20:27:13 PDT 2008

Greg Lindahl wrote:
> The translation of Alfonso X's book has disappeared from the
> U Arizona website, but a guy got permission from the translator
> to create a document which combines the translation and images,
> and it's available at:
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/?nenjj1dimtd

Actually, while that's useful for the images it contains, you can do
better than that for the rest. The full dissertation (of which the
translation is a smallish part) is available online from the University
of Arizona. You can download the PDF at:

http://etd.library.arizona.edu/etd/GetFileServlet?file=file:///data1/pdf/etd/azu_etd_2444_1_m.pdf&type=application/pdf

Note that that's almost 7 Meg.

It can also be purchased in paper form from University Microfilms: it's
not bound, but it's only 40 bucks, which is quite a good price given
that the dissertation is over 1400 pages. Besides the translation, it
has tons of background, analysis, detailed discussion of the book's art,
and some interesting theorizing about the Hermetic implications of the text.

I *strongly* recommend getting the full dissertation, whether in paper
or electronic form. I've only had time to skim it so far, but it looks
to be one of the best books ever published in the field.

(Disclaimer: she spends a couple of pages talking about my Astrological
Tables reconstruction, and declares that it doesn't totally suck. This
does incline me to be sympathetic towards her. But I think that,
objectively, it's still a very worthwhile book...)