hist-games: Roman wheel patterns

M Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Thu Jun 12 09:09:03 PDT 2008

I have tried out wheel patterns as merels (three in a row) and as diverse
war games. But either it doesn't work or is meaningless.

*But* the three wheel patterns I have tried out actually function as Bear
games: three hunters try to enclose a bear. The simplest pattern is a
mechanical win, however, but it could have been attractive to ancient
man anyway. It seems to have had other uses than a game, namely as
a mandala.  The most complex diagram is a fine Bear game. A human
brain wins it faster than Zillions does. I have also implemented one that
was carved in the temple of Apollo. In this, too, it seems like the hunter
party needs only encroach upon the bear to win, more or less. Perhaps
it is somewhat ritualistic. Judge by yourself. You can download the
preliminary version of my Zillions program here:
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-73784/roman_wheel_games.zip

Probably, then, the wheel patterns were bear games originally, but many of
them became stylized and less functional, or perhaps more ritualistic in
character. Then they became protective charms, etc. Perhaps it was
essential to ancient people that the game worked as a bear game (even
if it was trivial) for it to have a spiritual attraction. The fact that the game
works means that there is a spirit trapped in the diagram, i.e. an idea of
three hunters capturing the elusive fourth bear spirit.

Note that I have already implemented another wheel pattern in my "Bear
games". A thanks to Peter Michaelsen for sending me the information about
these patterns.

Mats Winther