hist-games: Outdoor games

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 05:07:30 PST 2008

In a message dated 3/3/2008 6:30:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
piotr.adamczyk at muzeum.elblag.pl writes:

>>I am searching for any kind of  information about early medieval outdoor
games: played by children, warriors,  womens etc. I am esp. interrested in
Viking and hanzeatic  era.<<

If I may be so bold, my book Sports and Games of Medieval Cultures  includes
a number of outdoor games from Northern Europe. Part of the difficulty  in
planning for a festival or other event is that many of these games are still
played today, so that they don't feel exotic: tag, hopscotch (which Roman
soldiers reportedly played with the hopper carrying a fellow on his  back),
prisoner's base, boules, quilles, quoits, drop the handkerchief,  round the village,
arch-and-trap ("London Bridge"), salt posts, shuttlecock -  all period, and all
still seen in every school play yard. Less common today  would be tilting,
hoop-rolling, and top races. Many modern children (and their  parents) have
never played at marbles. Hoodman's blind would feel "period" but  may not pass
modern queasiness around encouraging children to buffet one  another.

If any of the above are obscure, feel free to write and I'll send along  more
details off-list.

Sally Wilkins
Sports and Games in Medieval Cultures
Greenwood Press