hist-games: Magyar games

Britt tierna.britt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:25:37 PST 2008

I am a victim of lack of information.

I'm seeking Magyar games, preferably fifteenth century.

I have one of those SCA publications, a Complete Anachronist, which
claims a game called Mishy Mashy is fourteenth centuryHungarian _and_
Tibetan (under the name ming-mang) in origin and makes that claim
without one shred of evidence. Naturally, I suspect it, particularly
as the only other reference of mishy mashy is the book 'Medieval
Games' printed for SCA publication which is again not well-referenced
(http://www.gamepuzzles.com/histfun2.htm#MG). I no longer have a copy
of that book on hand and am working from memory here but remember it
wasn't a comfortable tertiary source when I was using it.
As described, the game plays on an 18x18 board (claimed to have been
played on boards from 6x6 to 1000x1000) with each player taking two
edges and laying their pieces in the squares on two sides in an L
shape so that each player has two corner spaces and everything
between. Pieces are apparently then lifted and placed onto the board
without restriction of move, the goal being to trap one or more of
one's opponent's pieces between two of his orthographically, which
results of a capture of all trapped pieces and these pieces being
replaced with the capturing player's pieces. A player may move pieces
into a capture situation without being captured. The CA implies that
moves are made simply by picking up pieces already in play and
replacing them elsewhere without being governed by the grid.  This
differs from what I find of ming mang which has pieces moving
orthographically across the
board.(http://members.tripod.com/Mongolian_Page/games/mingmang.html).

The other reference I have is likely more factual but even more
frustrating as all it does is supply names and doesn't even
cross-reference what they might have been known as in other languages.
 H.J.R. Murray's _A History of Board Games Other Than Chess_ claims
games of alignment and configuration called malomjarek and/or malmosdi
were played in Hungary. That's it, no explanation of the games nor
reference to any other games.

So, has anyone anything actually usable for research into Magyar
medieval games? I am SCA and will accept anything before 1600 but
would truly like to place games in the 15th century if possible. (I'm
not SCA enough to figure that everything within a 1200 year span is
'good enough'.)

- Teceangl