hist-games: dice games

Jon at Gothic Green Oak jon at gothicgreenoak.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 13:32:11 PST 2008

Chas

I am sure you are right, and I think that Mia/Meier is similarly a modern fiction though Viking reeanctors on this side of the pond play it. I will be taking both Farkle and Mia from my web site unless I hear different.

There are plenty of very good authentic games to play though.

What about Blind Dice?

jon

> Hi all
>
> Has anyone an opinion or better still information on the provenance
> of the following dice games found in books and web sites
>

> Farkle (aka 10,000) - said to be Tudor

> I can find nothing to suggest that they are anything other than 20th C

Yeah, I get questions from 18th and 19th century reenactors every once
in a while who are asking for farkle dice sets, but I've never seen
any hard evidence for it even that early.

Chas