hist-games: Domino found in UK centuries too soon

webmaster at historicgames.com webmaster at historicgames.com
Mon Dec 10 18:05:27 PST 2007

Am I missing something? Doesn't that webpage describe it as "Tiny
copper alloy domino -
Georgian 13.18mm Long"? The Georgian era was 1714-1811 so it sounds
like they think it's
a later artifact than some of the other items found on the page.

But my reading has been that dominoes started becoming popular in
Europe in the 1700's
and there's a reproduction set that we used to sell (until the price
went up) that the
makers -claimed- was based on a 17th century Dutch set carved by an
unknown artist.
Here's someone who still sells it: http://tinyurl.com/yuagqq

If my memory serves there was a stray domino found in connection with
Henry VIII's ship
the "Mary Rose," but it was been believed to be stray contamination
from a later era.

Chas
--
MacGregor Games
http://historicgames.com

Quoting "jcelko212 at earthlink.net" <jcelko212 at earthlink.net>:

I am at a loss on this one.  The item is clearly a western style
[5-1] tile, but it is
centuries too early according to anything I  have read.  Can anyone in
this group help
Mr. Adams?

(search "domino" instead of scrolling down the page)

--CELKO--