hist-games: Tarot in England from the late 1500s?

Michael Hurst mjhurst at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 7 08:19:26 PDT 2007

Hi, Chas,

I think that the dearth of records mentioning Tarot strongly supports
the conclusion that Tarot never caught on in England. As for the popish
and other Christian elements, they were offensive in Italy, too. They
were deemed inappropriate for a card game. A number of variations were
created in different locales, decks which either classicized the
subjects or simply changed particularly offensive ones. Then, around the
mid-1700s, modern decks with arbitrary trump subjects, double-headed
cards, and French suit-signs began to take over in most regions where
Tarot was then a popular game.

Based on the references I mentioned, a version of TdM would be the
obvious choice for the "French cardes".

If you have 22 euros to spend on a deck, some historical considerations
(surviving cards from Sforza Castle) suggest that the Parisian style of
Jean Noblet (c.1650) may be closest to the decks originally imported to
France from Milan, i.e., the oldest form of TdM. Originals as well as
the reproduction can be seen at the site of Jean-Claude Flornoy, the
artist who recreated the deck.

The Tarot of Jean Noblet
http://www.tarot-history.com/Jean-Noblet/index.html