hist-games: hist-games Digest, Vol 28, Issue 1

Graham Webb graham.webb1 at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 4 13:38:30 PDT 2007

If it is blazing sun shine and you are looking for something sedate, I have
two more suggestions.

Get yourself some marbles. Good Queen Bess used to attend the famous marble
competition that is still held at Tinsley Green. All you need is sand with a
ditch circle drawn in it. Check out the rules at the Tinsley Green Website;
it is really easy.

If you want something really sedate, though not a game, why not read
children stories of Chivalric knights and Robin Hood. They were very
popular. You could even tell the story of Don Quixote or Pinnocio, as both
are period. Sit under a tree with a book wrapped in leather; they needn't
see the actual writing. Margaret Cavendish writes in her diary about reading
stories aloud. My wife can have as many as thirty children listening with
adults standing around pretending they are only there to supervise the
children. No story should be more than four minutes long and have lots of
noise in them such as Dragons roaring.

Have fun!

P.S. This time I have remembered to miss out the full posting; sorry for
last time.