hist-games: Mid-175h Century England Games?

webmaster at historicgames.com webmaster at historicgames.com
Wed Oct 3 13:56:21 PDT 2007

I'm a cast member of a local Cavalier/English Civil War era faire set in
1652 and was wondering what period appropriate games would have been played
in England in that time period?  Any and all suggestions welcome.

--
Here's a few of the most portable

Card games: One & Thirty, Bone-Ace (An ancestor to modern Blackjack,
and mentioned as
early as 1611.)

Maw was popular with the English court starting with James I

Cribbage and it's ancestor Noddy were being played

For Dice games Hazard was the longest standing popular dice game in Europe.

Backgammon -even folding backgammon boards are documented.

If you'll excuse a shameless plug... the card and dice game rule
booklets that I sell
both consist of games documented in Europe prior to 1700. (I started
out with a 30 Year
War group so pre-1700 games has been our primary focus)

Chas
--
MacGregor Historic Games
http://historicgames.com