hist-games: Greetings and a question

Marti Livingstone marti at neo.rr.com
Wed Sep 19 11:11:45 PDT 2007

Greetings to all the gamesters,

I have become very interested in playing more period games at SCA
events and at my group's revels. While the strategy games go over
well with some, I am seeking games of chance that can be played by
those not interested in the heavy thinking games. We had a great time
last night playing Gluckhuas and Game of the Goose for chocolate. In
fact, those doing the strategy games were a bit jealous over the
whooping and cheers going on at our table when someone won the stake
of M&M's.

But I digress. I have found a non gambling version of an Italian
gambling lottery called Biribissi from "At Home in Renaissance
Italy", the V&A Museum website. There was a description of play in
Giacomo Casanova's book 'History of My Life', ppg 12-13. Any other
reference to this game is in Italian which I do not read. Is anyone
able to help me find the rules and instructions of how to play
Biribissi?

If this has been answered previously, I apologize for taking up your
time. I look forward to gleaning information from the archives.

Marti Livingstone