hist-games: Gargantua's games.

Deboramarzec at aol.com Deboramarzec at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 14:47:38 PDT 2007

In Francois Rabelais' 1534 book, Gargantua he lists about a hundred games
that the giant plays after dinner.
Has anyone/does anyone know of someone who has broken down the list into
card games, board games, dice games etc? (I think I saw a reference to the list
in a David Parlett book but didn't make a note of it at the time). Also it
seems  that many of the games could be of the type we now associate with
children's  'playgrounds'. And just how many of the games fall into the 'unknown'
category?

Thanks.

Debora.