hist-games: Courier chess

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Mon Jun 18 03:02:44 PDT 2007

Hi and many thanks for the document. In fact, the pieces they HAD at
Ströbeck had been given to the village in the 17th century by the "Grosse
Kurfürst" Friedrich Wilhelm I of Brandenburg. They are now lost.

So the only illustrations of the pieces we have seem to be: Lucas van
Leyden's painting, Jan de Bray's drawing, Gustavus Selenus' illustrations
and the photography of the pieces formerly at Ströbeck.

The search must go on...
Ulrich

  _____