hist-games: medieval chess pieces

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Thu Jun 14 07:22:03 PDT 2007

That's correct. Hitherto the only pieces I have ever seen are those in the
painting by van Leyden and the drawing by Jan de Bray for the Liber Amicorum
by Jacobus Heyblock.
Perhaps the Chessmuseum at Ströbeck, where the courier chess has been played
until the 19th century, has some more information:

Schachmuseum Ströbeck
Director: Angela Matthies
Platz am Schachspiel 97
38822 Schachdorf Ströbeck