hist-games: medieval chess pieces

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Thu Jun 14 04:57:37 PDT 2007

One should consider that Courier Chess seems to have been played mainly in
Germany and the Netherlands. So one would have to check if among the
medieval finds from these areas there could be some which originally
belonged to the game. Unfortunately there isn't much. And Antje
Kluge-Piinsker's book "Schachspiel und Trictrac. Zeugnisse mittelalterlicher
Spielfreude aus salischer Zeit" ends with the 12th century, so the material
presented by her seems perhaps a little too early, even if the Courier Chess
seems to have existed already at that time.
But the same problem of identification exists for the pieces of arabic chess
variants such as the decimal chess, Tamerlane's chess etc.: Where are all
these Dabbabas, camels etc.?
Ulrich

  _____