hist-games: Long Lawrence

Jon at Gothic Green Oak jon at gothicgreenoak.co.uk
Thu May 17 02:07:40 PDT 2007

Peter,

The markings on the four sided die that Willughby describes makes more sense for playing Put and Take without question, and so I look forward to your ideas on the development on of the markings on the later eight sided die.

One aspect of playing put and take with the four sided die as opposed to the eight sided one is a social/spacial consideration. An eight sided die can be rolled easily and therefore played on a table top with those playing sitting around it. The totum/teetotum similarly. A four sided die would have to be small for it to be thrown properly in a small space and have sufficient chance to fall on any of its four sides equally. Is there any suggestion of size of these dice and what they were made out of?

I have seen photographs of Indian long dice (4 sided) probably 19 C and these seem to be several inches long.

jon