hist-games: Long Lawrence

Jon at Gothic Green Oak jon at gothicgreenoak.co.uk
Mon May 14 09:14:04 PDT 2007

According to Parlett the Long Lawrence was used for playing Put and Take, which is an earlier game played with a teetotum - though how much earlier the teetotum is than the Long Lawrence I do not know (apart from the well known Bruegel reference of 1560). There is also the Jewish game played at Hanukkah with a dreidel (=teetotum) though again I am unsure of the antiquity of this. Could Put and Take and the teetotum have originated in the Jewish communities of medieval Europe and then passed to a broader gaming public? or is this just wishful thinking....

jon