hist-games: Cloth Game Boards

Richard Yeager r.yeager at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 24 17:17:19 PDT 2007

I apologize if this has been covered previously.  I
have not found much in the archives (at least that was
new enough to have functioning documenting links).  I
am wondering about game boards made of cloth or
leather and whether these were used in Europe prior to
the early 1600s?  I have seen assertions that they
were common in the Muslim east but not Europe.  I also
remember seeing a reference to them being made in
Scandanavia but cannot recall the refernce or the
time-frame.  Can anyone help?

Richad Yeager