hist-games: pinochle terminology question

Wolfersberger, Nicole A nwolfers at indiana.edu
Fri Jan 26 19:33:36 PST 2007

hi all

Just a curiosity -- I learned Pinochle from my grandparents, who always
referred to the meld consisting of trump A-10-K-Q-J as a "book."
Everyone else I know calls this a "run" or "family."  I looked on
Wikipedia and a few other places but I can't find anyone else that
calls this a "book" except my family!  Wondering if anyone has any idea
where that might have come from.  My grandparents were Pennsylvania
Dutch, maybe it has something to do with that?

cheers,
Nicole

--
"I am sorry I have not learned to play at cards. It is very useful in life:
it generates kindness and consolidates society." (Samuel Johnson, 1709-84)