hist-games: "Magice Cubes" dice?

webmaster at historicgames.com webmaster at historicgames.com
Sun Nov 5 09:22:02 PST 2006

I recently stumbled on to a reference to some fortune telling dice,
but the bottom sample in the illustration has suit signs as marking on
four sides reminded me of Crown & Anchor dice, so I'm wondering if
they are a variation of Crown & Anchor as well as (or possibly rather
than) fortune telling dice.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15053/15053-h/images/image51.png

I found the illustration in a book in the Gutenberg Project entitled
"The Evolution of an English Town" Unfortunately it doesn't explain
how they were used for divination except that they may have been used
with a fortune book.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15053/15053-h/15053-h.htm

Anyone know anything more about these?

Chas