hist-games: Surakarta

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Mon Sep 4 22:32:34 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Knauer" <mike at knauer.org>
To: <hist-games at www.pbm.com>
Sent: den 5 september 2006 00:51
Subject: hist-games: Surakarta

> Hi there!
>
> Does anyone know how old the game Surakarta is?  The references I
> have either don't list it, or don't list a date for it.
>
>    - Mike Knauer

Nigel Pennick (Games of the Gods) does not tell how old it is, but he says that
its board and mode of play relates it to protectove designs which are found
throughout Asia and as far away as Norther Europe. It is close to medieval
European cosmographic mosaics found in many cathedrals, which symbolize
the four elements and the Quintessence in the centre. There exists a beautiful
Zillions implementation.

Mats

Mats