hist-games: alea evangelii

Damian Walker damian at snigfarp.karoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 01:02:05 PDT 2006

Quoting Jane & Mark Waks's message of Yesterday:

> Good question. As far as I can tell, the game was popularized in the SCA by
> Baron Sallamallah (Jeff DeLuca), through his book "Medieval Games". The
> description there is terse, basically saying that it's a large form of tablut
> -- which more or less follows Murray's lead. So while I'm not sure of the
> origin of the reconstruction (the book is a nice primer, but doesn't have
> bibliography or footnotes), it probably started from Murray.

The main problem with Murray's rules probably occurs with this, then,
that the combination of a capturing king, himself being captured on four
sides, who wins upon reaching the edge of the board, is very difficult
for the attackers.  The fact that in alea evangelii a blockade is very
nearly formed might help the attackers, but I tend to favour rules that
make the sixteen corner intersections the destination for the king.

--
Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/