hist-games: Brandubh ("Black raven")

webmaster at historicgames.com webmaster at historicgames.com
Sat Aug 12 16:19:04 PDT 2006

Quoting Damian Walker <damian at snigfarp.karoo.co.uk>:

> Quoting Mats Winther's message of Yesterday:
>
>> The Brandubh representations on the Internet employ an awkward
>> setup.
>
> You'll find that there are two current ideas about the game of brandub.
> One, as you seem to adopt, as do I, is that the game is the smallest
> variant of tafl that we know of.  You'll see that your cross-shaped
> layout was mentioned in an article in Eigse: A Journal of Irish
> Studies, of 1946, by Eoin MacWhite.  His article is online, and is
> linked to
> somewhere on the following site:
>
> http://www.unicorngarden.com/magpie/magpie.htm

Speaking of the www.unicorngarden.com site. I've had a 3-4 people ask
me about a game they saw in the UK called "Celtic Chess" played on a
circular board, and as far as I can tell it is the "Faery Chess" game
described on this website at
http://www.unicorngarden.com/games.htm

The author of that website seems to have created this game which he
seems to alternately call "Faery Chess" "Celtic Chess" and "Fidchell"
On that page he seems to admit that he has no documentation for
Fidchell being his circular game, but I thought it was worth giving
people a heads-up that people are already being confused by his
application of "Celtic" and "Fidchell" to a game which seems to be a
pure invention of his own.

Chas
--
MacGregor Historic Games