VS: hist-games: Gala - suggestions for further research

Peter Michaelsen PMI at KM.DK
Tue Aug 8 14:44:22 PDT 2006

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Peter Michaelsen
Sendt: 08-08-2006 23:42
Til: 'Mats Winther'
Emne: SV: hist-games: Gala - suggestions for further research

OK, Mats,

We will see, if anyone might want to write such a research article. I hope so, but if not, I might perhaps find the time to do that some day.

I have one more suggestion for eventual Gala researchers:
Try to contact not only the University of Kiel, but also the Dithmarscher Landesmuseum in Meldorf. Some persons there might have further information about Gala. It does not seems that they sell the game in the museum shop, but elsewhere on the Internet it is possible to buy a game set. If someone writes an article about the game, that might perhaps arouse interest locally, so that e.g. the museum in Meldorf might want to arrange a Gala tournament.
In fact, as a result of my own and other people's (Alf Næsheim, Erik Østergaard, Anne Gaston, Thierry Depaulis) research about the dice board game daldøs, the museum in Thisted, North West Jutland, as well as the Jærmuseet in Norway, do now arrange tournaments and demonstrations of daldøs and daldøsa.

I did actually find one article about Gala on the Internet.
It can be found on the Berliner Zeitung Online textarchiv 17.06. 1995: "Die Gala-Show Dithmarscher Bauern", written by Peter Huth.
You can find it on http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-zeitung/archiv/.bin/dump.fcgi/1995/0617/wirtschaft/0016/

Best wishes,
Peter Michaelsen.