hist-games: Gala - suggestions for further research

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Mon Aug 7 23:20:45 PDT 2006

Den 2006-08-07 23:31:17 skrev Peter Michaelsen <PMI at KM.DK>:

> To name it "a Danish game" is not quite adequate. Holstein was a part of the Danish Kingdom for centuries, but people there did never speak Danish, and I do not think that people in e.g. Dithmarschen did ever regard themselves as Danes - not more than the original population on the Faroe Isles, Greenland, and the Danish colonies in West India and elsewhere did.

Yes, but people will be much more interested in the game if I say that it was
played by Danish Vikings, especially the American's will cock up their ears.
If I said that it was played by German peasants: Pah!

It is still possible that it was played by Danish Vikings, but that it survived
only among German peasants. Let's hope so, until someone refutes that
thesis in a research article. Then I will change the headline on my Gala page.

By the way, Murray says that Fox and Geese is a Viking game although it was
never played by the Vikings, and the board pattern actually derives from Arabic
games. But it is today an established fact that Fox and Geese is a Viking game,
although it wasn't.

Mats