hist-games: Gala

Damian Walker damian at snigfarp.karoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 5 22:52:08 PDT 2006

Quoting Mats Winther's message of Yesterday:

> Well, this game is something of a mystery. The problem is that it also has
> aspects clearly reminiscent of the Hnefatafl family of games, and these would
> have died out by the 1490:s.

What makes you think that it is related to hnefatafl?  You mentioned a
"holy square" that's restricted to the king -- something that Botermans
and Parlett, my only sources for the game, don't mention.  I'm not sure
that this alone demonstrates any relationship.

But in any case, one shouldn't underestimate the staying power of
hnefatafl.  It survived until 1587 in Wales and 1732 in Lapland.  There
is no reason to imagine why these are the only places in which it
survived after the invasion of chess.

--
Damian - http://damian.snigfarp.karoo.net/