hist-games: Gala

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Tue Aug 1 09:58:28 PDT 2006

Den 2006-08-01 14:46:26 skrev Jane & Mark Waks <waks at comcast.net>:

> Mats Winther wrote:
>> Pennick says that this game ought to be researched more, and this is
>> perhaps the problem. Perhaps there is no singular good source.
>
> Hmm. My main concern is making sure that the game really is that old.
> Enough people have a tendency to equate "old" with "centuries old" to
> make me a little nervous, at least until I've seen a bit of textual or
> archaeological evidence. (And such evidence also ought to give me a
> better idea of which culture(s) are known to have played it, which is
> useful from an SCA perspective.) After the Tablero debacle a few years
> ago, I've gotten a tad more cautious.
>
> Complete rules aren't quite so critical to me -- I don't tend to
> completely trust reconstructions anyway, until I've seen the originals
> and can judge them for myself. But I'd like to know where the game comes
> from...
>
> 				-- Justin

Nigel Pennick (Games of the Gods) says that Gala derives from medieval
times, and seems to have been restricted to a small area of Schleswig-Holstein,
once Denmark but now part of Germany. He says that Gala appears to be a
game which had origins separate from Chess, perhaps in early medieval
European magic (p. 220).

Mats