hist-games: Gala

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 05:46:26 PDT 2006

Mats Winther wrote:
> Pennick says that this game ought to be researched more, and this is
> perhaps the problem. Perhaps there is no singular good source.

Hmm. My main concern is making sure that the game really is that old.
Enough people have a tendency to equate "old" with "centuries old" to
make me a little nervous, at least until I've seen a bit of textual or
archaeological evidence. (And such evidence also ought to give me a
better idea of which culture(s) are known to have played it, which is
useful from an SCA perspective.) After the Tablero debacle a few years
ago, I've gotten a tad more cautious.

Complete rules aren't quite so critical to me -- I don't tend to
completely trust reconstructions anyway, until I've seen the originals
and can judge them for myself. But I'd like to know where the game comes
from...