hist-games: Gala

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Mon Jul 31 11:10:26 PDT 2006

Den 2006-07-31 10:24:50 skrev Mats Winther <mwi9 at swipnet.se>:

> Den 2006-07-30 17:00:17 skrev Mats Winther <mwi9 at swipnet.se>:
>
>> Gala is a medieval norse game that ought to be researched more.
>> I have implemented it in Zillions. Have I got all the rules right? I don't
>> have recourse to all the sources, and not all sources give all the rules.
>> But it seems to work fine. Games seem to be about 60-80 moves long.
>> It is a very curious game. I have not seen anything like it before,
>> although it clearly is a relative of Hnefatafl. I am not sure I quite understand
>> it.
>> http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/gala.htm
>>
>> Mats Winther

> Today I uploaded an updated version, with corrected draw conditions, etc.
> http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/gala.htm
>
> I repeat that I would like some more information on this game. So please
> dig into your libraries.
>
> Mats

In my latest research on Gala I have found that there are, at least, two
different versions of Kampa (pawn) promotion. In my latest upload I
have included both these.
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/gala.htm

If anyone could shed light on this curious rule I would be greatful:
"Diagonal moves between castleedges and the edges of the holy site
(D6 - E7, F7 - G6, E4 - D5, F4 - G5).
If a piece moves diagonally between a castle and the holy site there is no
crossing of a mound, the piece moves between the mounds."

What is this rule good for? Can anybody find it in your books?

Mats