hist-games: Commit/Manille card game history?

webmaster at historicgames.com webmaster at historicgames.com
Sun Jul 30 09:52:09 PDT 2006

Commit, (aka Comette, or Manille according to Davib Parlett) is a
"stops" card game that is an ancestor to the game Pope Joan that also
features the nine of diamonds (or "manille") as a special card. It is
also somtimes spelled Comet (Comet is also the name of a later 18th
century variant).

 From what I've read, stops games such as this became most popular in
the seventeenth century. But there are webpages that I have read that
suggest that:

1) Mary Queen of Scots introduced the game to the Scottish court after she
returned from France, or...

2) That it was introduced to Scotland by the queen of James V, Mary of
Lorraine (also Mary of Guise, 1515 - 1560).

But nothing I've seen gives a reference to where this informaton comes
from. Does anyone have more info on these possible early references?

I've seen a couple websites with the reference to Mary Queen of Scots
that seem to mis-spell the name of the game as "Cornette" with and "r"
but I've suspected for a while that it's a mis-spelling that is being
spread and preserved by the web. I recently found this web page
http://www.cardtabletalk.com/ninedia.html that seems to confirms that
the mis-spelling originates from the book "The Official Encyclopedia
of Bridge"

Chas
--
MacGregor Historic Games