hist-games: Gala

SEDWilkins at aol.com SEDWilkins at aol.com
Sun Jul 30 08:46:12 PDT 2006

Mats writes:

> It is a very curious game. I have not seen anything like it before,
> although it clearly is a relative of Hnefatafl. I am not sure I quite
> understand
> it.
> http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/gala.htm

Hmm. I thought Gala might have derived from chaturanga--four players each
with a king, three "mounts" and four infantry, or two players each controlling
two quadrants. Hadn't thought of it being like Hnefatafl, particularly since the
sides are of equal strength. I wonder how you concluded they are related?

I am not very good at games on the computer, so can't really comment on the
play, but it looks very nice.

Sally Wilkins
Sports and Games of Medieval Cultures