hist-games: Board Games -- Suggestions Requested

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Tue Jul 25 10:21:37 PDT 2006

Den 2006-07-25 19:08:06 skrev <smcclune at earthlink.net>:

> Greetings to the list!
>
> I am in the process of putting together a set of wooden game boards.  The boards will be 12" x 16".  The idea is that they will fit inside the tray of a wooden chest I made as part of a local group project.  The inside of the tray is already painted for tables/backgammon, and the other side has a chess board.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what additional boards I might want to include?  I would prefer to stick with games from medieval or renaissance Europe, if possible.  I'm currently considering Nine Man Morris, Fox and Geese, Alquerques, and probably Gluckshaus; are there any others I ought to include?  Any favorites that perhaps I haven't heard of yet?
>
> Many thanks!
> S. McClune
> (known in the SCA as Arwen Southernwood)

Tablut, perhaps. The Vikings were obsessed with this game. Each other
Viking grave contains their personal favourite Tablut pieces.
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/tablut.htm

(if you are going to make an Alquerque board, please take note
of the correct rules which can be found here:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/medievalalquerque.htm )

Mats Winther