hist-games: Dablot prejjesne

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Fri Jul 21 23:56:38 PDT 2006

How come the Lapps played a game "Dablot prejjesne"
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/dablot.htm
which has the same board pattern as African Kharbaga
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/kharbaga.htm
and African Kreibgha
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/zamma.htm
and where the pieces moved in all directions like in Kreibgha
and where the capture rules are similiar to Italian Damone
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/italiandamone.htm
namely that checkers of lower rank cannot capture checkers
of higher rank.

There is a kinship among these games which I don't think is accidental.
Have we here the remnants of an archaic checkers game deriving from classical
antiquity? The word Dablo originally derives from lat. tabula, no? (It is the Lapps
that are responsible for the survival of the Viking game Tablut
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/tablut.htm )

Mats Winther