hist-games: Staining bone pieces?

webmaster at historicgames.com webmaster at historicgames.com
Sat Jun 10 06:19:14 PDT 2006

So, I acquired some deer "toe" bones that I was going to try to use as
game pieces, but does anyone have suggestions what to use for staining
or dyeing them? I'ld prefer to stain/dye them rather than just paint
them.

I was thinking I would go with red since there is an early description
of the Isle of Lewis chess pieces having possible remnants of red
stain (although modern examination has not confirmed this)

Tara Hill http://www.tarahill.com/runekits.html sells red ochre for
their rune kits, but will it soak into bone well enough? It would be
nice to have them tinted enough so they are distinct from the undyed
pieces, but I don't know if I want them solid red like later ivory
chess pieces that were red colored.

Chas
--
MacGregor Historic Games