hist-games: Four seasons chess

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Fri Jun 9 16:14:09 PDT 2006

Wolfram Troeder wrote:
> has somebody experience with this chess variant based on a description in
> the alfonso manuscript?

I've played it a fair number of times, albeit it in the secondhand
reconstruction in the book "Medieval Games". Haven't dug deeply into
that to see if the reconstruction is solid or not.

I teach it fairly frequently, because it's suits the SCA social milieu
well -- as a four-player game, it is popular at our relatively social
events. The result is typically rather "Democracy"-like, with constantly
shifting alliances as people play...