hist-games: How Alquerque was really played

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Thu Jun 8 23:45:22 PDT 2006

I have recently, together with P. Michaelsen, done some historical game
research.

Arie van der Stoep's latest findings, of how Alquerque was played in
medieval times, has been implemented. It is more close to checkers than
you would expect, but capture is not compulsory. The game seems to have
a degree of sophistication. It is interesting.
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/medievalalquerque.htm

The African variant of checkers, played on a special pattern (not Alquerque)
is very attractive and combinative:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/kharbaga.htm

To my Zamma program I have added two smaller Zamma variants, namely
Kreïbga (5x5), where pieces can both move and capture in all directions, and
the minimalistic Felli (Fich) from Marocko.
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/zamma.htm

Mats Winther