SV: hist-games: RE: Bolotoudou

Peter Michaelsen PMI at KM.DK
Sun May 14 10:53:25 PDT 2006

Dear Gareth

In stead of translating the whole passage from the book by Machatscheck I must right now confine myself to mention what is special among the rules of Bolotudu compared to closely related games like Dara.
In Bolotudu you place two stones at a time in the dropping phase of the game. In the second phase  after having completed a three-in-a-row (bolotudu) horizontally or vertically, you may only take an opponent's stone if this "borders" to this bolotudu ("angrenzenden", "grenzt" in the German text). It is not mentioned in the short text by R.C. Bell about Dara, that three-in-a-rows are not permitted in the first phase of the game. Théodore Monod mentions this, however, in his somewhat more detailed description of the rules of "LE CHEVAL", and I suppose that Bell's source did simply forget to mention this rule. This means that only the two first rules are special to Bolotudu.
Having searched for "bolotudu" on the Internet I discovered that there seems to be a computer program available which plays this game. This might perhaps make its rules more clear to you.

It seems a bit strange that 'bolotudu'/'bolotoudou' should be the name of the game both in Senegal and Sudan. Perhaps "Sudan" should be taken in its extended meaning, referring to a large part of Africa, much larger than the state named "Sudan".
The game is played in quite a large part of Africa, and it is certainly not unlikely that it is also played in Sudan, but then perhaps under another name.

Concerning the mancala game with a similar name I did find the game "dara-dara" from Celebes, Indonesia. "Darra" seems also to be the Hausa name for the game better known as wari/oware/awalé.
The Hausa have another name for the game similar to "bolotudu": "dili", according to Monod.

Dara is played by the Dakarkari people of the Sokoto province in North Western Nigeria. "Dakarkari" is the name given to this people by the Hausa people. They name themselves "Lela".

I quote from R.C.Bell: Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations, p.95:
"Dara.
Several games of this group are played in North Africa, one of the best being Dara of the Dakarkari people, Nigeria. The board consists of thirty small depressions made in the ground in five rows of six each. (Fig.82. Arrangement of holes in Dara (after Fitzgerald)
First phase. Each player has twelve distinctive stones or pieces of pottery. They are placed one at a time in the holes in alternate turns of play. When all the pieces have been positioned the second phase begins.
Second phase. Alternately, one piece is moved orthogonally to the next hole, the object being to form a line of three pieces in consecutive holes orthogonally, but not diagonally. When a THREE is formed the player removes one of his opponent's pieces from the board.
The game ends when one player is unable to make further lines of three pieces. Lines of four pieces do not count. Skilful placing of the pieces in the first phase of the game may be decisive in the second."
(Source: Fitzgerald, R.T.D., 'The Dakarkari People of Sokito Province, Nigeria. Notes on their material Culture', MAN, XLII, 1942, p.26)

The same game is described by Théodore Monod in "Sur quelques jeux africains à quadrillage", in Notes Africaines, no.45, January 1950, p.11-13:

"II. - LE CHEVAL.

Tamacheq : dra ; haoussa : dili ; bambara, bozo, sonraï : wali ; peul Macina : kyoti.
1. Le jeu (fig.12) se compose de 6 x 5 = 30 cases (fossettes juxtaposées sur la table).
2. Chaque joueur dispose de 12 pions (bâtonnets ou cailloux).
3. Une partie se joue habituellement en 10 points : ceux-ci peuvent être obtenus par un joueur gagnant chaque fois en 10 jeux, ou même en moins, celui qui gangne sans avoir lui-même perdu de pions marquant 2 points.
4. Le jeu comporte 2 temps : 1e le placement des pions; 2e le jeu proprement dit.
5. Premier temps : chaque joueur à tour de rôle, sans qui'il y ait de règle fixe pour le choix du débutant, place, un à un, ses douze pions à son gré, sans avoir le droit de constituer des séries de 3 dès ce premier temps.
6. Deuxième temps : avec des pions se déplacant orthogonalement (dans tous les sens, en avant, en arrière et même de côté), d'une case à la fois, chaque joueur s'efforce de constituer des séries de 3 pions alignés, chaque alignement réussi lui conférant le droit d'enlever du jeu 1 pion à l'adversaire.
7. Celui qui a débuté pour le placement commence aussi la deuxième partie du jeu.
8. Il est interdit d'aligner plus de 3 pions.
9. Si, au cours du jeu, un joueur venait à former simultanement, d'un seul mouvement, 2 alignements (fig.13), il ne pourrait compter comme valable qu'un seul des 2 et ne prendra qu'un pion à l'adversaire.
10. Le pion capable de fermer à chaque mouvement ou tous les deux coups, un alignement (numeros 7-13) [referring to fig.13: Marche des pions], se nomme un cheval (tamacheq: aïs, haoussa : doki). Le joueur ayant réussi à établir un cheval, simple ou double, inaccessible aux attaques de son adversaire, a nécessairement gagné.
Th. MONOD,
(Dakar)"

As you can see, games like Bolotudu are played by a lot of peoples in Africa, in Senegal, Mauretania, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria, and probably a lot of other countries.
Many years ago I read an article by M. Mizony: "Les jeux stratéqiques camerounais et leurs aspects mathématiques", in Annales de le Faculté du Cameroun, no.6, 1971.

I remember that there was an enormous amount of different board games played in Cameroun, both games like Dara/Bolotudu, but also Mancala games and other types of games. Unfortunately I do not have a photocopy of the article.

Best wishes,
Peter.