SV: hist-games: Zamma

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Tue Apr 25 01:47:15 PDT 2006

Den 2006-04-25 00:47:10 skrev Peter Michaelsen <PMI at KM.DK>:

> Hello Mats!
>
> You have made a very nice update of the Zamma game for Zillions-of-Games, including some of the historical information I sent you.
>
> Concerning the rule that you are obliged to choose the continuation with the most possible captures, you are right, when you say that this is a good, but also an advanced rule.
> You ask: "is this really how the Tuaregs play the game"? Yes, probably, but we cannot know for certain. The article by Abdallahi Ol Bah is by far the most detailed description of the game.
> The somewhat shorter description by Théodore Monod in Notes Africaines no.45, January 1950,p.11-13: "Sur quelques jeux africains a quadrillages", does only state that captures are obligatory,
> and so does R.C. Bell in his description of "Zamma" in The Board Game Book, 1979.
> This rule has probably been followed in Spanish draughts (and a similar, but even more advanced rule in Italian draughts) since the 16th century, and resulted in a game with more combinations than in the similar game without such a rule. Already in 1547 the first Spanish draughts book was published in Valencia. Unfortunately it has been lost, but a book from 1591 with nice problem compositions has been preserved. The rule of "huff" (French: "soufflage", Moorish: "cafar"), as well as the rule of promotion was probably borrowed by the North Africans from the Europeans.
> In a mail Thierry Depaulis pointed out that this "contamination" was not necessarily a result of the French colonization. This could very well have happened already in the early 17th century. In 1609-1614 between 250 and 300 000 Moorish refugees reached Morocco from Spain.
> Scandinavia is one of the few areas in the world, where the advanced rule of capturing has never gained any popularity, but, at the same time, Scandinavia is also one of the areas where the game has never been studied or played seriously in clubs and with organized tournaments.
> Anglo-American checkers, Pool checkers, Russian checkers and Thai checkers are other variants without any priority rule of capturing.
>
> Yes, Zamma/Srand is an intriguing checkers variant, in which the most astonishing combinations may often occur,while draws will be rare, even among master players.
> Its combinations can only be compared with the likewise ortho-diagonal combinations of Frisian checkers, another excellent game.
> It seems a bit strange that Christian Freeling did not include any of these games in his comparative study of checkers variants, see http://www.mindsports.net/DraughtsDissected.
> In this study he compares several variants, including his own HexDame and Dameo with traditional variants like Turkish checkers and International checkers, the latter of which has become rather drawish among master players.
>
> A few days ago I discovered two other variants of Zamma, both with interesting features.

> [...]

After all, correct information is not easily retrieved so it's no wonder that
this important game has been a Cinderella among checkers variants.

If there exists another variant which you would like me to implement as
a variant in the program I could do this provided that you dig up the
exact rules, since you seem well-informed. It could be worthwhile to
implement one or two of the simpler variants.

Mats