hist-games: Holzroulette - modern or historical?

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Thu Feb 9 23:58:24 PST 2006

In the collection of the Swiss Museum of Games we have a number of such
roulette games with a spin. The ones in the collection date roughly
between the late 19th century and the 1920-1930s. And we frequently sell
them in the museumshop. They are called here "Alpenroulette".

Kakelorum is something different: There is a tower attached to the board
where you throw the marbles in, they slide down slide inside the tower and
come to lie in the holes on the board. No spin is used.

Table-skittles were also very popular during the 1st quarter of the 20th
century. There was a tendency at the time to produce miniature versions of
large games (that's how table tennis was born). Different forms are known
played with balls or with a spin. I have a wonderful example of a
spin-skittle at home produced by Rhomba in Germany in the 1920/30s, but
the game is still nowadays played in pubs in Southern Tyrol for example
(northern Italy and southern Switzerland). Other versions are played with
a ball that rolls down from an inclined plane. There are also editions
with shooting mechanisms similar to a pistol.

Ulrich
Swiss Museum of Games
www.museedujeu.com