hist-games: Baraja Espanola

Marianne Perdomo Machin marianne at historiaviva.org
Mon Jan 16 05:07:18 PST 2006

Greetings!

As has been pointed out that sounds just like a standard deck of cards
from Spain. There are, of course, many games for these cards, as other
cards are only rarely used in Spain to this day. But I don't know if
any of them are period. 8's and 9's are used in some games, I think,
but not in others.

There are some games, in Spanish, here:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juego_de_naipes

If you can read Spanish, google for "Juegos de cartas" or "juegos de
naipes" ('naipes' is another name for 'playing cards'). A "baraja" is
a set of cards. These are usually termed "Spanish baraja" or "French
baraja". The 'french' one is the one with the queens, diamonds, etc.

Note that some cards have special names:

Number    Picture             Name
10        a  soldier          Sota
11        man on horseback    Caballo (horse)
12        king                Rey (king)
1         1                   as (ace)

The names sota, caballo and rey date at least back to the 16th c. (see
www.corpusdelespanol.org)

The 4 set names are:
clubs     bastos
coins     oros
swords    espadas

Here you can see a 16th c. deck with looks almost the same:
http://www.wopc.co.uk/spain/ayet.html

I got a reproduction of these in modern card paper at the "Museum"
store in Madrid airport, for fairly cheap (3 euros? perhaps 5?). It
comes with one card having a bit of historical background, which adds
that the original deck had 44 cards. The rest is basically on that
webpage.

An earlier one in similar style has been dated to the early 15th c.
http://www.wopc.co.uk/spain/morsica.html

They have a shop online:
http://www.museummusei.com/
But I couldn't find the cards :(

Leonor, in Alcazar (Spain)
who'd also be interested in simple, period games for these.