hist-games: Halma

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Wed Dec 14 05:59:04 PST 2005

Den 2005-12-07 09:21:08 skrev <u.schaedler at museedujeu.com>:

> For the history of Halma see Bruce Whitehill, Americanopoly. America as
> seen throgh its games, ed. by the Swiss Museum of Games, 2004.
>
> BTW: It's still a classic in Germany where it is part of the games
> compendiums reuniting games such as nine men's morris, draughts, ludo etc.
>
> Ulrich

In my new game "HopQuad" piece movement is the same as in Halma
and the goal is also similar to Halma, namely to achieve a certain aligment
of the counters. Thus I classify it as belonging to the Halma family:

The goal is to achieve four-in-a-row on the orthogonals. The game is played
on a chess/checkers board. Counters are dropped on the board, one by one.
Between drops, and also after all counters have been dropped, they can
move one step in all directions (also diagonally), and also hop over any piece
in any direction. Note that it's admissible to move a counter before all counters
have been dropped. Overlines don't count (i.e., 5-in-a-row, or more). The
game can be played with differing amounts of counters. I have implemented
versions with 12, 15, and 20 counters. It is also possible to play the game with
only orthogonal movement (i.e. no diagonal movement).

Believe it or not, this game actually works finely, despite the fact that there are
hardly any restrictions in the rules of the game. This could be the Perfect Game,
the Game of the Philosophers.

Mats