hist-games: RE: hist-games Digest, Vol 8, Issue 1

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Tue Dec 13 09:05:57 PST 2005

Den 2005-12-10 14:44:25 skrev <james at tradgames.org.uk>:

>  .....Andrew is on
> something of a Halma crusade and his favoured approach is "Super Halma" -
> Halma with super jumps. There are a variety of other rule changes and
> possibilities for improvement of play which I corresponded with him about.
> He has some great ideas and some quite in-depth theory behind some of it.
> I'm not sure if his work is generally available but he seemed to be keen to
> spread the word to anyone who was interested....
>cheers then,
>James Masters
> www.tradgames.org.uk

He is on the "Quest for the Holy Game," which is quite similar to
the "Quest for the Holy Grail." The alchemists, too, sought after the
Holy Elixir, or the Stone of the Philosophers, which had wonder-
working properties.

So I think that involved in this work is a phantasy of "The Perfect
Game." We search to find this game that will have wholesome effects
on the ones who play it, and will make them healthy, and bestow on
them long lives, and also have benevolent effects on the surrounding
world.

Ancient and medieval people viewed board games as doorways to
the spritual sphere. I think this phantasy is still going on in our unconscious.
But, unlike the ancients, modern people are generally unaware of such
"spiritual" aspects of things.

Mats