[0.0] hist-games: Interception-capture: Quad

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Sun Dec 11 11:44:27 PST 2005

Den 2005-12-10 15:45:38 skrev Ramutis Giliauskas <Ramutis.Giliauskas at hwcn.org>:

> Removal of pieces occurs through two methods of custodial enclosure. Both
> are subtle in their differences and both do NOT occur immediately as a
> 21st century mind would assume.
>
> During x's turn, x encloses o ......xox
> Now, during o's turn, o can try to escape the enclosure or do some other
> move.
>
> After o has completed his turn, if o is still enclosed it is NOW removed
> before x's turn begins.(www.fid.it/curiosita/storia2.htm)
>
> The above may be better understood if a man is surrounded, he can still
> escape or some else can come to his aid, he would not necessarily be
> killed immediately.
>
> The other method of enclosure is when a single piece or a  group are
> unable to move. They may be pinned against the edge of the board or
> surrounded. During the NEXT turn if they are unable to move, then they all
> removed in the same sequence as above. ie Prior to the start of the next
> player's turn all enemy pieces that are enclosed are now removed.
>
>  .....C Piso ...both your hands rattle with the captured group.
>
>  .....S Bassus .. both theyhands rattle with the prisoned throng.

This should perhaps be referred to as "deferred interception-capture" and
it is very interesting. In Latrunculi it implies that the piece is imprisoned for
any number of moves. If the party who imprisoned the piece wants to remove
it he must waste yet a move to do this. This implies that capture takes two
moves. This form of archaic capture method also deserves to be experimented
with. Anyway, my experiment with "immediate interception-capture" continues.
My "Quad" game has been improved in that white must drop his first counter
on one of the four centre squares, and his second counter on the rim. This is
to reduce white's first move advantage. Quad can be downloaded here:
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/quad.htm

It is curious how games have been developing in history; from complicated
capture methods to simple. From complex board patterns to simple, etc.
This is how language development generally goes, too, i.e. from complicated
grammar and a multitude of synonyms to simpler structures. So Latin is not
an exception.

If we take Halma, for example, this is rather typical. It could not have been
invented long ago because it is so very simple. This tendency towards
simplification must find its explanation in the psychological differences
between people of today and people of olden times.

Mats