[0.8] Re: hist-games: Latrunculi

Mats Winther mwi9 at swipnet.se
Wed Nov 23 09:47:21 PST 2005

Den 2005-11-23 15:26:09 skrev <u.schaedler at museedujeu.com>:

> Hi,
> first of all we don't know the age of siga. More likely it's the other way
> round: siga derives from an ancient predecessor.
>
> Secondly, the direct predecessor of latrunculi is the Greek game "cities"
> (or "city", gr. "poleis" or "polis"), where the pieces were called "dogs"
> and the board or the squares "city". This indicates that the game is not
> at all a battle simulation. It's simply a board game for two players with
> capture. Of course one can "read" it in military terms (as every other
> "wargame" type board game, be it chess or draughts or go), as the author
> of the "laus Pisonis" in the 1st century did.
>
> Cheers
> Ulrich

On the other hand, Siga could be quite old, as the 5x5 and 7x7 boards
appear on the roof of the Kurna temple in Egypt. Moreover, it is much
more close to Latrunculi on account of the dropping of stones, which
did not seem to occur in Poleis, which is battle between two
"cities," that is, it starts with an initial piece setup like in Checkers or
Chess.

Mats