[0.8] Re: hist-games: Latrunculi

u.schaedler at museedujeu.com u.schaedler at museedujeu.com
Wed Nov 23 06:26:09 PST 2005

Hi,
first of all we don't know the age of siga. More likely it's the other way
round: siga derives from an ancient predecessor.

Secondly, the direct predecessor of latrunculi is the Greek game "cities"
(or "city", gr. "poleis" or "polis"), where the pieces were called "dogs"
and the board or the squares "city". This indicates that the game is not
at all a battle simulation. It's simply a board game for two players with
capture. Of course one can "read" it in military terms (as every other
"wargame" type board game, be it chess or draughts or go), as the author
of the "laus Pisonis" in the 1st century did.

Cheers
Ulrich